7.07.2007

RedSonja Goes Home

After ten months living abroad, traveling through Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union and even parts of the Middle East, it's finally over. Tomorrow, I'm going home. Although "home" is still a fluid term for me, since I am starting law school in a city I have only visited once, briefly, I am looking forward to being back in the U.S.

On the other hand, I am not looking forward to a future of explaining that Kyiv is not in Russia, that Ukrainian is it's own language or any number of questions regarding world geography. Although I expect law students to be smarter than the average American, even bright Americans have continually shocked me with their ignorance of the rest of the world. In other words, coming home will likely entail some degree of culture shock.

Living abroad has confirmed some personal suspicions - I will never be the kind of person who is happy staying in one place. Already, I am planning my next escape at winter break and an international internship for next summer. Hopefully, my career will lead me abroad and allow me to continue my slow, but methodical adventure across the globe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redsonja deserves a rest and some Amerikansky civility (the usual euphemism for imperial grace) to put the past ten months into reasonable perspective. Looking forward to seeing her Top Ten lists, whatever topic is indexed. Sorry to see this great writing disappear into the lower bowel of law school, where it will likely be disvalued and rehabilitated without life or adverbs.

Thanks for sharing and for taking us along the roads you roamed; hope you found what you were looking for.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home